Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Oh, by the way, I'm back

Got a couple of posts up today, breaking news, and haven't had a chance to say: I'm back in town after a rather unfortunate situation that reminds me of how awful the American health insurance system really is.

My 90-year-old mother, who lives by herself and fiercely guards her independence, fell and broke her leg, right next to where she had a hip replacement. Serious business. But she was on vacation in upstate New York at the time, and thus not near her home of Philadelphia, and thus "out of network" -- and I have had to fight bitterly to get her the treatment she needs and deserves.

I'll write the whole story up soon. At this point she's okay, in a rehab facility near home (my family has had to eat the $1000 cost of medical transport to get her there, another sick story of the horrors of private health insurance), and we hope she will walk again and be able to remain independent.

But it set back my blogging and my efforts to launch my new publication by a couple of weeks.

I have, however, incorporated the San Francisco Progressive Media Center as a nonprofit, and I'm raising money for my new online daily publication, and in the next couple of days I'll have a paypal account. Also planning fundraisers. I will keep you all posted.


No comments:

Post a Comment