Friday, July 26, 2013

About David Chiu

My old friend and former colleague Steve Jones has a piece that talks about Board President David Chiu as the new go-to supe, the person who has pulled together compromises on some very tough issues. But it's worth putting this in a bit of perspective: When you are the swing vote, the person in the middle, on a lot of major issues, it's easier to be the one who cuts the compromise -- both sides need you. I agree that Chiu pulled Scott Wiener's CEQA plan and condo-conversion proposals out of the disaster area and helped turn them into something acceptable. But none of that would have been possible if there weren't several solid progressives on the left demanding that the rights of tenants and neighborhoods be protected; if there's no strong left flank, held down by Sups. David Campos and John Avalos, then the center moves to the right.

So when we give Chiu credit for being the guy in the middle, let's not forget that he's ... the guy in the middle.

Oh, and Mr. Board President: Would you please stop using the term "shared San Francisco values?" To quote a well-worn and time-honored phrase: Gag me with a spoon. I don't share the same values as Ron Conway. I don't share the same values as Ed Lee. I didn't declare the class war that's raging in San Francisco, but I won't pretend it isn't happening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment